Blog is an abbreviation for web-blog. A blog is a website that maintains and displays information in chronological order. It can also organize data by category, links and tags.
One of the defining features of a blog is the frequency with which content is updated. Although originally used as personal websites with frequent entries and links to articles on other Web sites, Blogs have evolved into more than just a personal diary!
The type of blogs you create can range from the personal to the instructional, and may focus on one specific subject or a variety of subjects.
Perhaps one of the most compelling features of a blog is the RSS feed. RSS is abbreviation for Really Simple Syndication and like it’s name says, it is a method that makes it very simple and easy for anyone to subscribe to your updates. You can subscribe to my RSS feed here :
Since “blogging” has become so popular to the online world, trends have developed and, successful blogs tend to have some things in common:
- A main content area with articles listed chronologically
- Each article belongs to a distinct category
- An accessible archive of older articles
- A place for readers to leave comments for articles
- A list of links to other related sites, sometimes called a “blogroll”
- A way for readers to subscribe to updates added to the blog via a “feed” like RSS, or Atom etc.
Many blogs have additional features to enhance the experience for readers or, to provide additional functions for the sake of business development.
Some of the features that enhance a blog are:
- Theme (you can find many generic themes or, you can create your own using these resources:
(For fully loaded themes) create your own custom theme
(For basic themes) create your own custom theme
- Writing style (to reflect who your are or your business)
- Links (to related sites)
- Advertising (relevant ones)
- Multiple authors
- Syndication (to make it easy to share you blog with others without email)