Many bloggers I know have one thing in common – they have all struggled at some point to build a subscriber list. Even more interesting is that many of them, if they are honest, for a long time did not even know what a subscribe list building meant, not to mention, how to build one. This is true for bloggers in all kinds of niches and industries; from all walks of life, beginners and pros alike.
If you have been creating content on the internet for a while, you might remember how easy it was back in the day when you could add “Subscribe now” or “Free Newsletter” on any website and build a huge subscriber list. Those days are gone and today you simply cannot approach building your subscriber list the same way you did even just three years ago! Instead, you must have a vision and plan a strategy, because people are more reluctant to join yours or any list for that matter, much more than ever.
Contrary to what many people believe, the reluctance is NOT because they’re afraid of SPAM. (Although you should have an anti-spam policy on your blog or in your communication with your subscribers). Nor is it because they’re paranoid about their email being sold. It is NOT even because they don’t know you.
So, what accounts for the hesitation? It is, I believe, more because they’re AFRAID.
- Afraid of not receiving what you promise.
- Afraid of receiving too many emails outside of what you promised.
- Afraid of receiving emails that are not highly-relevant to what you promise on the blog, and so on.
However, some online marketing experts suggest that the biggest reason why visitors won’t join your list is because you are likely offering/promising the same old stuff that you can find all over the internet. How many times have you seen an opt-in form saying… “Free Blog Updates”? It is so common these days and there is often no visible added value. And how many times have you seen a Free PDF/eBook report’ offer? Less often!
The point I’m trying to drive home here is this and listen carefully because your blogging success depends on it:
- If you want to build your list just like the pros
- If you want to build trust with your list
- And if you want to make money from a combination of blogging and email marketing, then here’s what I suggest that you do:
- Step #1. Talk with fellow bloggers [I suggest you connect and communicate with bloggers outside your niche as well] who are already successful list builders and if possible, interview them on SKYPE, by phone or via email. This way you’ll no doubt learn some great shortcuts and some “secrets” that will help you get where you want to go, faster, easier and better than any other methods out there.
- Step #2. Be sure to actually implement the tips you gather from your communication with these pro bloggers. Have one or two bloggers as your mentors. However, be careful not to get caught up with too many, since learning from different sources might do more harm than good, and actually confuse you.
- Step #3. Start building your list. DO NOT POSTPONE FOR ANY REASON. Do not wait for anything to be perfect. Start getting your first subscriber and include a strategy for making your first sale. The rest will follow.
And now, if you have a WordPress blog and want to put your list building on steriods, you should check out this plugin – Subscribers Magnet – it’s proven to rapidly build your email list by using the technology in some unconventional and unique way. It’s unobtrusive and highly impactful. Watch the video on the page to see it in action.
See you in the blogosphere!
Do you know that there are thousands of e-commerce WordPress plugins available for selling online from your WordPress site? Stay tuned for my next article about some of my favorites.