How often should you update your WordPress theme?
Many people who use WordPress for their webistes are “solopreneurs” or small businesses whose brand is always evolving. Sadly, many never bother to have their webistes evolve right along with their brand. the result? A website that no longer reflets who they are or what they do. In other words their brand is no longer accurately represented.
Many of my clients balk at the idea of an overhaul until they begin to see a decline in time people spend on sites or hits from their new target audiences.
The good news is that if you use WordPress doing an overhaul does not have to be a costly or long drawn-out exercise! Instead, changing a theme and updating colors is half the challenge! Giving your webiste a “new coat of paint” can go a long way in keeping your brand fresh and professional looking.
However, it should not stop there. In addition to a new theme and color scheme, here are a few things to consider for your website landing page overhaul:
- use a responsive theme (read more about this)
- invest in a few professional images
- invest in a professional logo (seriously, we know when you did it yourself)
- call-to-action graphics (tell visitors what to do)
- info panels (panels feel familar – think social media)
- condense content (save the 5000 word details for inner pages)
- user friendly – (can a non-techie person navigate the site?)
- socially connected – (are your most active social network links integrated?)
- contact link visible
Here are two screen shots of a wordpress site that recently underwent an overhaul using these tips. The first is the old design and the second the new:
Remember, you only have a few seconds to grab the attendion of your visitor and since your website is likely the only chance you have to connect you want to make sure your visitor can see at a glance what your brand is all about.